Saturday, December 3, 2011

EDLD 5363: My Evaluation of Windows Live Movie Maker

I especially enjoyed this week’s assignment of selecting, evaluating and learning how to use a free video editing software application. It has been several years since I have taught in the classroom and this exercise reminded of the fun I once had with the students. When I was teaching, the classes offered to students consisted of Keyboarding, Business Computer Applications, Computer Science and Desktop Publishing. Today’s learning opportunities have broadened to classes such as Digital Graphics/Animation, Multimedia, Video Technology and Web Mastering.

In this week’s readings, I read about several open source video editing programs. ”Editing systems may range from sophisticated digital suites with all the bells and whistles to basic single-source systems consisting of a camera, TV and VCR” (Lonnquist, 1994). I chose to work with Windows Live Movie Maker because the high school technology teachers in my district like to use this program. I started by saving my video clip to the video library on my computer. I then installed the free version of Windows Live Movie Maker. I opened up the software and immediately saw the option to import clip. The program was easy to understand and maneuver. My program automatically saved with the .wlmp extension. In order to upload my practice video to You Tube, I discovered that I needed to save my project using the .wmv extension. I opened my project again in Windows Live Movie Maker, chose the option to save movie recommended for this project and it converted my project into a format (.wmv) that could be played by Windows Movie Maker and You Tube. I edited the video clip several times before I finally upload it to You Tube.

In reviewing Windows Live Movie Maker, I found it to be very simple to use. It was perfect for a beginner, like me. I can see where a more advanced user would be limited in using the program. Windows Live Move Maker offered the basic functions required to edit a video clip. I was able to add captions, trim clips and add animation. It offered a variety of formats for importing, such as wmv, QuickTime, avi, mpeg-4, mpeg-2, jpeg and several more. Overall, I was very happy with the results of my finished project using Windows Live Movie Maker.


Now that I am working on obtaining the abilities needed to edit a video clip, it will be my responsibility to pass my new found skill and excitement to the teachers in my district. “Media production engages and excites; it leads to unexpected discoveries, increased self-awareness and esteem, sharpened critical thinking, analytical skills, group work skills, and ability to communicate ideas” (Garrison 1999). By showing all teachers how they can use video in their lesson plans, students and teachers will learn a lifelong skill that can be used for school, work and personal activities.

References

Garrison, A. (1999, Winter). Video basics and production projects for the classroom. Center for Media Literacy. Retrieved November 263 2011, from http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article3.html

Lonnquist, J. (1994, November). The art of the edit. Videomaker. Retrieved on November 23, 2011, from http://www.videomaker.com/article/1691/

No comments:

Post a Comment